This is not a mistake. It’s not smoked turkey; these are turkey cigars. You can’t smoke them, so you’ll have to eat them! They are pictured next to a real cigar, made by my husband’s boutique cigar company Senor Solomon Kosher Cigars. This unique cigar is 12 inches long, 70 gauge, and it’s called The Senor. Some jokers dubbed it Monica Lewinsky cigar, but let’s be family oriented here. Here is my husband, explaining what makes a cigar kosher (I apologize for poor sound quality).
I simply had this crazy idea of combining a spring roll, a deli roll, and a Moroccan cigar. Sometimes I follow Morticia Addams’ advice: I play with my food.
I love these gluten free spring roll wrappers, and I constantly experiment with them. This time, I wrapped them around turkey pastrami. Incidentally, for a vegan version, Tofurky turkey deli can be used.
For the veggie filling, I used my standard spring roll combination: shredded cabbage, grated carrots, scallions, ginger, and yellow turmeric. All this is marinated in sesame oil and soy sauce, with some cinnamon and coriander.
First you have to wet the edges of the spring roll sheet. Put a couple of slices of turkey on it, and don’t forget the secret ingredient – Wasabi sauce. Then plop a heaping tablespoon of your marinated veggies on top of the turkey and roll a cigar.
You might want to wet the top edge again, to seal your cigar better. Put it aside sealed side down and keep rolling. Meanwhile, get your frying pan ready and spray it with oil. It takes only a few minutes to brown them nicely, but make sure you turn them to get that golden glow all around.
Crispy smoking turkey for your Thanksgiving table – fast and easy to make, and totally delicious!
- 1 package of spring roll wrappers (16 sheets)
- 32 turkey deli slices (alternatively, Tofurky deli)
- 4 cups shredded cabbage (1/2 head)
- 1 large grated carrot
- 8 scallions, cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces and then lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 inch grated ginger
- 1 inch grated yellow turmeric
- A pinch of cinnamon
- A pinch of coriander
- Wasabi sauce or any sharp mustard
- Combine vegetables, add olive oil and say sauce, add seasoning, mix well, marinate for 20 minutes.
- Spread spring roll sheet, wet edges. Place two turkey slices on top, thinly spread Wasabi sauce on turkey. Place heaping tablespoon of vegetable mix on top of turkey. Roll into a tight tube. Wet the top edge again, to seal. Put aside sealed side down. Continue.
- Preheat frying pan, lightly mist with oil. Fry for a few minutes until golden brown. Turn to brown evenly. Serve hot.
- *Note: may be reheated in oven, but not microwaved.
Happy Thanksgiving – enjoy!