You can’t stuff all your cheese into one varenik, claimed my grandmother. Yet I am going to attempt to do just that: focus on several causes for celebration in one post, thus stuffing all of them into one huge perogi (that’s what a varenik is, Beautiful People). Today’s prompt is FOCUSED (https://dailypost.wordpress.com/prompts/focused/), and I am totally focused on the first and most important issue, September the Cat Month. I hope you didn’t think I would not celebrate it, did you?
In memory of all our cats, dogs, and other animals, at home and in the wild, those whose company and friendship we enjoy today, and those who are waiting for us on the Rainbow Bridge, please come to the party bearing gifts: it could be a poem, a story, a photograph, a picture, a quote, and, of course, a recipe FOCUSED ON ANIMALS. You can leave the link in comments or do a pingback to this post. But this is a party, Beautiful People, so let’s dance!
Who says cats don’t dance? I do, and I am sure you do, too, so let’s dance together, all 1,500 + of us!
I hit the magic number – 1500 followers at the same time Irma hit South Florida, leaving more than four million people without power for a week or two, so I didn’t even know. To each and everyone of you, Beautiful People: I thank you for being a friend!
This magic number is only due to your support, your love, and your kind, sometimes funky, but always Oh, so wonderful! comments. Some of you, Beautiful People, have honored me by nominating my blog for various awards. I have hoarded and collected those for several months, and now – here they are, and I thank you for bestowing these distinctions upon my humble blog.
Starting with my favorite award – just because it looks like a picture of me on our boat! – lovely Crystal of https://daisymae2017.wordpress.com nominated me for the Black Cat Blue Sea Award. Whoever came up with this one – I simply adore it! Dear Crystal also nominated me for a Blogger Recognition Award. I truly appreciate both, and I love her blog – go see it, Beautiful People!
For the first time, I was nominated for Liebster Award, and by four different bloggers – amazing! In chronological order, the four fabulous bloggers whose work I value highly: Mozer of https://hasidic.me, https://jewishthoughtsblog.wordpress.com, Nithya of https://divinespice.com, and Kae of https://bucketsonabarefootbeach.com. I am completely overwhelmed to be considered “liebster” (dearest) by such creative and accomplished bloggers! Take a moment to visit their blogs and see for yourselves!
Dearest Nithya was also one of three people who tagged me with The Blue Sky Tag. The other two are my dear friend Linda of https://kelleysdiy.com – you have to stop by just to see her awesome creations, Beautiful People! – and a great and versatile cook Ella of https://favoriterecipesblog.wordpress.com. I am thereby tagging ALL MY PARTY GUESTS – that’s you, Beautiful People, yes, you, and you, and you! As our friend Alex Fox sings, “Tu, y tu, y tu, y solamente tu…” Performing for you, the world renown Floridian Alex Fox and kids – sons David and Sebastian, and daughter Carolina: baile! Let’s dance!
Tired of our kind of passionate dancing? Let’s get a drink – we are at Cafe La Mar on the Ocean Drive in Ft Lauderdale, after all! – and focus on the tag.
There are 11 questions, and you can choose to answer a minimum of any four of them. If you are so inclined, feel free to answer more.
- Why did you start blogging?
- How do you find time for your blog?
- Do you have a blogging routine/schedule?
- How long does it take you to finish writing a post?
- Do you have a morning routine?
- What is your favorite autobiography?
- How many languages do you speak?
- What does it mean to be a woman?
- Is your blog listed on your resume/linked-in page?
- How do you stay in shape?
- Are you doing any volunteer work, if so what kind and why?
- I find time for blogging when something is baking or simmering, between stirring, seasoning, and checking for doneness.
- I don’t have a blogging routine, but a morning routine – oh, definitely! Open one eye, hear loud high-pitched meowing, open the other eye, hear two more meowing voices join in, climb out of bed, proceed to the kitchen and dispense treats to the vocal trio. Then – blessed coffee time.
- I stay in shape (whatever that shape is!) by doing yoga, walking, bicycling, and catching gym time whenever I can. Swimming and kayaking are just fun times, rather than exercise; this is Florida, after all!
- I have always done volunteer work with a group that provides a very important service to the community, but I am not at liberty to name it.
It is a mystery to me how I got the Mystery Blogger Award, but thank you so much, dear Vero of https://withcoloursandcanitointhekitchen.blog. Stop by and find all kinds of delicious recipes there! And if you want to see the cutest, most amazing hand-crocheted things, you must visit lovely Robin of https://imperialcrochet.com who kindly nominated me for The Versatile Blogger Award. I sincerely appreciate the honor, but if anyone is versatile, it’s Robin, rather than I. After all, all I do is cook! Well, yes, I like to tell funky stories, too so darling Jen of https://gypsybus28.com and Naina of https://warriornaina.com deemed me worthy of The Unique Blogger Award. Thank you so very much, dear ladies, but I truly believe that every blogger is unique, and both of you certainly are! Pop over and see their blogs, Beautiful People; you’ll be impressed!
It’s almost cake time, guys! Getting ready to slice and serve in a moment. Just a couple more: two lovely ladies, https://gastrogranny.com and dear Sophie of https://foodzesty.com thought that my blog deserved the Lovely Blog Award. I am sincerely mystified, since all you have to do is to look at their blogs, and you’ll see what’s truly lovely!
Finally – you guessed it! – with the music of the inimitable Stevie Wonder, The Sunshine Blogger Award graciously extended to me by a great blogger https://invisible-no-more.com. We can all benefit from her fighting spirit and her positive attitude!
Double chocolate coconut cake is coming up! Real quick, mix spelt or gluten free flour with coconut flakes, add a goodly amount of cocoa and a pinch of baking powder, gradually add coconut milk and whisked aquafaba or eggs. A pinch of salt is also helpful. Oh, and don’t forget to cream room temperature Smart Balance with brown sugar and dump it into the same bowl.
Pour batter into a lightly misted with oil baking pan, put it into the oven, and make the glaze by mixing a couple of tablespoons of coconut milk with a teaspoon of cocoa powder and a shot of rum. It’s party time, guys!
Glaze it the moment you take it out of the oven, while it is still hot, and sprinkle some more shredded coconut on top. Cool it, slice it, splash some chocolate syrup (or a lot of chocolate syrup!), garnish with fresh berries, and serve.
- 3/4 Smart Balance, room temperature
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup aquafaba or 3 eggs,whisked
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 3/4 cups spelt or gluten free flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tablespoons coconut milk for glaze
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder for glaze
- 1 shot (3 oz) rum for glaze
- 1 -2 tablespoons shredded coconut for sprinkling
- Heat oven to 350 F. Lightly mist baking pan with oil.
- Cream Smart Balance with brown sugar.
- Whisk aquafaba or eggs. Combine all ingredients, mix gently, but thoroughly.
- Bake for 1hour and 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, make holes all over the top of the cake while it is still hot, pushing the skewer through to the bottom of the cake.
- Combine glaze ingredients, pour over surface of the cake, distributing evenly with a brush if needed. Sprinkle with shredded coconut.
- Let cool before slicing, serve garnished.
Join the party, Beautiful People, answer at least four questions of the tag above, and bring your party gifts: a poem, a story, a photograph, a picture, a quote, or, of course, a recipe FOCUSED ON ANIMALS. Leave the link in comments or do a pingback to this post. The door is open, the cake is served, music is playing, and I am so excited to welcome all 1500+ of my friends!