The train is dead, the train is dead! Ding Dong! The wicked train is dead!
A few months ago I posted an urgent desperate plea to all of you, Beautiful People, to help us save our little island from a wicked corporation and corrupt politicians who had been threatening to destroy our unique environment, architectural ambiance, and ecological balance. You can see all the gory details here.
Let nobody claim that the grassroot movements do not work – the train is dead! We thank all of you, Beautiful People, who cast a vote to support our efforts; your votes counted, and we won! Now you can safely visit and enjoy Miami Beach in all its splendor. I am here with a plate of cookies to greet you – have a cookie!
I was so overjoyed at the news from the City Council that I just made something quick and easy. However, it still abides by My Own Rules of Dessert:
Rule #1. If it’s not chocolate, it’s not dessert.
Rule #2. The more chocolate, the better!
Therefore, the most important ingredients are unsweetened cocoa powder and chocolate chips. But first you need to cream Smart Balance or any butter substitute you prefer with brown sugar. Then just mix in the rest of the stuff: spelt flour, ground walnuts or almonds, baking powder, vanilla, and a pinch of salt. Don’t forget both cocoa powder and chocolate chips, and my secret ingredient, spiced rum – can’t bake without it!
Make little dough balls – I use ice cream scoop – and plop them on a lightly misted cookie sheet. Leave about 1/2 inch (1.5 cm) between them, or else they get too friendly and attached to each other. Flatten them a little with a spoon and send them into the oven for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, you have just enough time to watch this:
I don’t know how to express my gratitude to all of you, Beautiful People! I am touched and overwhelmed by your readiness to jump to our help! All I can say is – have a cookie!
- 2/3 cup Smart Balance or any butter substitute
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1/4 cup ground walnuts or almonds
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly mist baking sheet with oil.
- Cream Smart Balance with brown sugar. Add the rest of ingredients, mix well.
- Form dough balls the size of walnut, place on baking sheet at 1/2 inch (1..5 cm) from each other, lightly flatten with spoon.
- Bake for 15 minutes. If you prefer soft and chewy cookies, remove immediately. If you want them dry and crunchy, leave in the oven for 5 more minutes.